Song of Mary (The Magnificat)
Words: paraphrased Miriam Therese Winter, 1987
Tune: MORNING SONG, from Wyeth's Repository of Sacred Music, 1813
- My soul gives glory to my God,
My heart pours out its praise.
God lifted up my lowliness
In many marvelous ways.
- My God has done great things for me:
Yes, holy is this Name.
All people will declare me blessed,
And blessings they shall claim.
- From age to age to all who fear,
Such mercy love imparts,
Dispensing justice far and near,
Dismissing selfish hearts.
- Love casts the mighty from their thrones,
Promotes the insecure,
Leaves hungry spirits satisfied;
The rich seem suddenly poor.
- Praise God, whose loving covenant
Supports those in distress,
Remembering past promises
With present faithfulness.